We are looking for a competent personal care assistant to support physically or mentally challenged customers in their everyday lives.
Assisting in meeting the daily needs of patients and in the provision of physical and emotional care and working as part of a team to achieve the required standards. Responsible for the provision of personal and basic health care to clients, assisting them to gain confidence in the performance of their day to day self care chores.
- Keeping up to date records on patients, including daily observations about activities and any medication administered.
- Instructing patients on health matters and personal habits to do with hygiene and diet.
- Helping to organize and also participate in recreational activities.
- Preparing food and also serving meals, drinks and refreshments.
- Attending staff meetings with senior managers.
- When required to assisting clients with feeding, bathing, and dressing.
- Helping trained nurses to dispense medication.
- Participating in appropriate training activities and courses.
- Involved in developing care plans.
- Talking to clients and listening sympathetically to their problems.
- Making the best use of aids provided to help clients who have limited mobility, or physical / learning difficulties.
- Helping to create a stimulating and homely environment.
- Making and changing beds and ensuring that rooms are clean and tidy.
- Use appropriate infection control procedures to maintain a clean and safe working area.
- Segregating and disposing of waste materials.
- Providing support to relatives and friends.
- Maintaining records of clients and their needs.
- Helping patients with their toileting needs, including continence promotion.
- Advising senior managers of any issues concerning the welfare of clients.
- Able to identify signs of emotional or developmental problems.
- Knowledge of all relevant health and safety policies and procedures.
- Aware of all the fire procedures, maintaining of documentation and the monitoring and maintenance of equipment.
- Experience of looking after elderly patients some with dementia and challenging behaviour.
- Having the required confidence, drive and enthusiasm.
- Able to multi task and meet deadlines.
- Capability to communicate effectively with other team members.
- Possessing a friendly, enthusiastic and positive outlook.
- Able to build relationships with patients and their families or friends.
- Willing to work flexible hours including weekends and nights.
- Treating people with dignity and respect.
- Constantly maintaining personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job.
Key Competences and Skills
- Good listener
- Personal care
- Meal preparation
- Domestic help
- Accompanying clients in the community
- Time management
- Domiciliary Care
- Record keeping